Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mirror Transformation

So many projects, so little time. I've always got a project going on, and most of them aren't finished. I can finally cross this one off the list of to-do's. I've been working on this one forever, it's not like the project took a lot of effort but I've been tinkering with this one since July and I have no clue why, it could have taken me one afternoon but instead I let it linger. I kept seeing all these cute chalkboards all over blogland, so I came upon this mirror with really cool lines, probably a little girly for my house full of boys, but I knew she had potential.
Here she is, she's tall, thin and has good lines, she's made of plastic I'm guessing in her previous life she hung above a dresser. I picked her up for $8.00 or so.
I painted her heirloom white and the paint bubbled and bugs got stuck in the wet paint and it was a hot mess so I left her in the dirt and then finally moved her to the back porch for awhile, well maybe even a few months, shame on me.

Finally, when the temperature was a tad bit more pleasant and after a few sips of my husbands Monster drink, I started on her again. I sprayed her with another coat of heirloom white spray paint and a trusty coat of clear poly for protection. I went to Lowe's and found a sheet of galvenized metal, it wasn't the exact size I needed so I cut down a few inches to fit inside the frame - and used my handy kitchen scissors to cut it. Side note: I would have had my handy hubby cut this for me with one of his manly tools, but I was determined to make him proud of me and ask for zero help. After cutting it to size and wearing out my poor kitchen scissors, I then spray painted the piece of metal with some chalkboard paint - got to love this stuff. Took out all the screws from the backside of the mirror, left the mirror intact and placed the galvenized piece on top. And ta da I have a chalkboard/magnet board for all the school paperwork, party invite, doctor appointment paperwork overload chaos. It fits just perfectly on a skinny wall in the kitchen. And that my friend is a project done without the hubby's help! After shot doesn't really do her justice.

Next project to check off the list, kitchen bench for the kiddos...coming soon.

No comments: